Let us take a look together at Romans 12:2,
- Do not CONFORM yourselves to the standards of this world, but be TRANSFORMED by a complete CHANGE of YOUR MIND. Then you will be able to know the will of God – what is good and is pleasing to Him and is perfect.
This word “CONFORM” means to conform one’s self (i.e. one’s mind and character) to another’s pattern (fashion one’s self according to). We find this same word in 1 Peter 1:14. It says
- [Live] as obedient children [of God]; do not be CONFORMED to the evil desires which governed you in your ignorance [before you knew the requirements and transforming power of the good news regarding salvation].
And again in Romans 8:29 we read,
- For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be CONFORMED to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.
This means we are to have the same form as Jesus, to be similar, or be conformed to Him.
See, according to this Scripture, God knew us in advance and He chose us to become like Jesus, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. How awesome is that?
So we can see how important it is that we CONFORM ourselves to walk, talk, act, and live like Jesus and NOT according to the standards of this world, but how?
The second part of Romans 12:2 says,
- But be TRANSFORMED (how?) BY THE RENEWING OF YOUR MIND – CHANGE YOUR MIND!
Do not think like the world thinks – Think like God thinks! We will not find the will of God for our lives until we consistently renew our minds with the Word of God!
Here is an example that may be helpful: Do you know how you set your alarm clock before you go to bed at night? Well that is what we are to do, only to SET OUR MINDS on the Word of God. Romans 8:5 says,
- For those who are living according to the flesh SET THEIR MINDS on the things of the flesh [which gratify the body], but those who are living according to the Spirit [SET THEIR MINDS on] the things of the Spirit [His will and purpose].
We are told this in Galatians 5:16,
- I say then: Walk in the Spirit and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
See, we need a mindset that lines up with the Word of God. Walking in the flesh is also a mindset, but it’s contrary to the Word of God. I exhort you to ask yourself this question: “How is my mind set?”
We have to set out minds to do whatever the Word says to do. It will not just fall on us. We have to set our minds to walk in unconditional love and forgiveness like setting a thermometer.
God is trying to do things for us, but our wrong thinking is separating us from His provisions just like in the story of the prodigal son.
Right thinking is spiritual mindedness, thinking that lines up with the Word of God.
We must change the way we think. If something is not the way it should be, then ask yourself, “What thoughts do I need to change?”
If we want to take full benefit of what is at hand, we are going to have to think differently. Matthew 4:17 says,
- From that time, Jesus began to preach and say, “Repent [change your inner self – your old way of thinking, regret past sins, live your life in a way that proves repentance; seek God’s purpose for your life], for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”
To repent means to turn in your actions and to change your mind. Let us be sure we are getting our knowledge from the Word of God and not from another source.
I exhort you to make a conscious decision to CHANGE YOUR MIND and think consistently according to the Word of God. If you will do this, you will find yourself speaking faith without having to consciously think about it. Let the Word of God CHANGE YOUR MIND.
Always changing into His image,
Gordon Ministries and Jesus City Church ⛪️